Tuesday, June 01, 2010

granny stripe, part 2

I was eager, perhaps too eager with my first granny stripe attempt from my previous post. The more I looked at it, the more wrong it looked. It looked too stretched, so how did I manage this? I wondered to myself. Perhaps it's the wrong type of wool, I thought. Have you heard the saying that 'a bad workman always blames his tools'? Yep, well I was blaming the wool.
Was it the wool, really? No, it was not the wool, that was fine. So what then? The pattern is right but the stitches are wrong. After looking in my crochet bible, I realised that I was working trebles where I should have doubles and double trebles where I should have trebles. Doh! If this was my court of law, the poor wool would have probably gone down for a stretch - I guess I'll never make a lawyer.

This is attempt number two. It's looking much better - and far more like it should (but still a bit wibbly and wobbly)


I wonder if it will be as lovely as this one day?
picture via Attic24

You know, it really is quite simple when you get the hang of it. Getting the hang of it is the hard part.
Practice over - let the granny stripe blanket commence!

2 comments:

Kitty said...

Hi Monda ... thank you so much for alerting me to Lucy's HAL - it sounds like you are getting the hang of it now - I'm not sure I will/would! I have already decided I shall attempt her ripple pattern for my first 'blankety-thing' but will watch the growth of your granny stripe with keen interest. I am determined to actually achieve this strange crochet lark! x

Thomas said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.