I'm very happy with how it is coming along but have learnt a few things along the way for the next time I do this:
Paper cutting is not as easy as it looks.
I actually used quite a thick paper (thin card) as I didn't want to accidentally tear it - doing this is tougher on the fingers as you need to press harder with the scalpel.
I drew my design faintly with a hard pencil and then begun the cutting process on the right side of the design. In hindsight (which is such a wonderful thing) I should have drawn my design backwards, or scanned it and reversed the design as the results on the reverse of the cut seem cleaner, and there is less of a need to be so meticulous with a rubber to get rid of any remaining pencil marks.
I used one scalpel and should have used two. Towards the end of my cutting the blade was not as keen and the cuts not as clean.
All this said, I did actually enjoy this, and I know my next attempt will be a much slicker version of the first. I'll show some pics of the final design in a day or two.