Friday, July 29, 2011

you need this book

Sometimes you come across something that just knocks you off your feet with awesomeness. Anyone who knows me knows that I'm quite hard to please. We're not talking diva proportions here but I won't say that I love something unless I really love it, and to use the word awesome (when your not American - no offence intended) is something else entirely as far as I'm concerned. This word is reserved for something so good, so exciting, so appealing and so special that makes you joyous at the mere thought of it.
The most awesome thing is a book, and a book you need. It's called Alphabet by Paul Thurlby:

If you read my blog you'll know that I love all things print. I love this book to the proportions that I wish it was my own creation. This is essentially an ABC book with illustrations only - no words (no bad thing). These are really great illustrations full of texture, character and appeal, kind of print-y, kind of painting-y and each one a feast for the eyes.
Oh, and the smell of the book is also really appealing. It's not a scratch and sniff thing, more a combination of the right kind of paper and ink. It smells so good.



 Some more of Paul Thurlby's work:




There's a really nice hand written blurb in the back of the book about how the book came about.
To quote a little of it, Paul says 'the inspiration for my work comes from mid century design and illustration. My style has been described as being retro-modern. I use old books, postcards, and pieces of paper for the backgrounds. Often, for example, I will buy an old book from a charity shop just to use it's back cover'.

Go now, buy this book, and look at Paul's website or flickr to see more.

3 comments:

Mrs Moog said...

What great illustrations and I love that he uses old books as inspiration. It's great to find a book you really love, isn't it? :o)

xxx

Peony and Thistle said...

Fantastic! I had seen some of these letters on the web but had no idea that there was a book! Great news! It's now on my wish list!!!

Esani said...

Great work. very original.
esaniblogg.blogspot.com