Tuesday, March 09, 2010

something old, something new

happiness today came in the form of 2 new books - well one of them is quite old actually, but still quite exciting for a nerd like me.
This ledger is a 'cash book':
 The first entries are in April 1926, and from what I can tell, this was a record of household spending. I don't imagine this was a normal everyday working household, but perhaps and small Manor house or country house. There are payments detailed for various dates in each month, and some of the things on the monthly outgoing list are:
House - 2 pounds
Gardener and Boy - 2 shillings and 6 pence
May Carpenter - 2 pounds (was she the housekeeper I wonder?)
Freda (monthly allowance) 1 pound
Higham Coal - 2 pounds, 6 shillings
Man (mowing grass) 5 shillings
Cleaning suit (oxford) 6 shillings and 6 pence
British legion xmas treat - 5 shillings
Overcoat cleaned - 9 shillings
Freda (passing exam) 1 pound
There is also something on one of the lists called X-box - I'm guessing that's not a games console - maybe it was a games compendium!

my second happiness today was my new print & pattern book:

 This is actually my second copy of the P&P book - the first one from amazon was damaged in the post so I had to send it back without even looking at it - torture indeed. I love the P&P blog - such a inspiring dose of eye candy each day - Bowie does a great job at showcasing some of the design talent out there.
I'm off to dig in to this now. Mr Monda will no doubt be wondering what all the oooh-ing and aaaah-ing is all about.

1 comment:

angharad handmade said...

I'm itching to get my hands on the print and pattern book - it looks like a must-buy!