Wednesday, July 23, 2014

bye bye bootcamp

This is my final assignment entry for Lilla Rogers MATS bootcamp:
 
I don't mind admitting that I really struggled with this assignment for a piece of 'art based around your favourite beverage'.
I'm one of those weirdo people who doesn't drink a hot drink every day - tea or coffee, or whatever. I drink a lot of water, and occasionally some very weak fruit squash. I think this is yet more proof that I am a child in an adults body.
If you're a long standing reader of my blog you will know I love my vintage china tea cups, and have crates of them stored away in my loft (which I WILL get out and use when I have a bigger house to live in) and it would have felt very natural and probably even somewhat easy for me to produce a design based on tea cups and saucers and biscuits and all that - just typing these words is sending images whizzing through my head. But I wanted to be a bit more true to myself, and also push myself to do something a bit different (for me) and a therefore a bit more tricky (for me).
I have recently taken to drinking smoothies for breakfast and sometimes lunch too, in an effort to improve my health and get as much of the good stuff in me as I can, so I knew this would be my drink subject. I also wanted to have a character in my design because this is still not something that comes easy to me. I had an idea in my head of what I wanted this to look like. But I struggled to make this happen. Everything I was drawing looked wrong.
But I persevered. Partly because I am stubborn and didn't want to be defeated by this, and partly because I knew I could do something good.
I'm glad I persisted. This whole thing is a huge learning process but I've found I just have to keep on doing, keep on drawing, and eventually it will come.

I'm pleased with what I produced. And I am a little bit sad that this was the final bootcamp assignment. Bootcamp has really pushed me to be more creative, and think differently, and draw more. I needed this. I've also connected with many other like minded designers and artists. The community has been so supportive and encouraging - everything you need when you are a solo home worker with only your cat and toddler for feedback, and as much as I love both of them, feedback is not their strong suit.
Take a look at the gallery - there is some fantastic work there. 

Onwards and upwards. Next up, Global Talent Search!

1 comment:

Gina said...

It's a great design Vanessa. I love the fruit in her hair.